We are so glad you are interested in becoming a foster parent! Whether you are just starting the process or have been researching the idea for a while now, we are happy to help you get started. There are so many kids who would benefit from your love, care, and devotion that are just waiting to meet you!
5 Main Requirements for Becoming a Foster Parent:
- One of the first requirements is completing 30 hours for the TIPS-MAPP training or 21 hours for the TIPS-DT training. Both involve Trauma Informed Partnering for Safety, where the first focuses on the Model Approach to Partnership in Parenting and the second focuses on Deciding Together. Both are provided at no cost to you by TFI Family Services.
- Each applicant also needs to have three hours of First Aid training along with having their fingerprints taken. Fingerprinting will be done in person by a TFI staff member or at your local police department.
- While you are completing your training, you will also meet with a TFI staff member to assess your home’s safety. Also, so they can get to know you and your family. This will all be put into your file so you can be licensed to be a foster home.
- DCF will do a walkthrough of your home to survey that everything has been completed. Also, to ensure it is safe for any foster children coming through your doors. They will issue the license certifying that your home is now a foster home.
- The last requirement is the most simple: just be open to providing love, space, understanding, and care to any and all foster children who come through your door. TFI will be here to support both you and the children throughout the process.
Learn More About Foster Parent Requirements
Once you are ready to submit your information to begin the process, just follow this link. We can’t wait to hear from you!